How do I purchase a bike from Green Bike Effect (GBE)?
We have a growing network of sales reps who provide demonstration and test rides at locations near you or come to your home or office! We are also working with local bicycle shops and bike rental providers to have our demo bikes available for rent or test rides. The only way to purchase a bike is through our online store at this moment. Special promotional discounts may be available with our sales rep.
How do I get a test ride?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can tailor a showing to your convenience. You will be surprised the level of personal service we provide to customers. We are also setting up 3 convenient locations around the Bay Area for online rental reservation. You may soon rent a GBE electric bike out for fun and apply the cost to final purchase price if you choose to purchase a new one. Details to be announced on the website.
Do you have post-sales support and warranty process?
Yes. All of our products carry 12-month Warranty on frame, motor, and battery. Please refer to “Warranty”, “Exchange/Return Policy” pages for full details. Extended warranty service plan can be purchased separately with the initial order.
Why don’t you have any retail stores or showrooms?
Our marketing strategy is through the internet, word of mouth, social media platforms, and grass root local festivals, trade shows, and meet-ups. The savings in this model are directly passed on to the online buyers. Our prices are at least 40% lower than comparable products in retail stores.
Where are GBE Electric Bikes made and sold?
GBE E-bikes are designed in the US and manufactured in China and Taiwan. GBE E-bikes are currently sold in Taiwan, Europe, the Middle East, and the US. We have dedicated Quality Control & Logistics team in China and Taiwan.
What Certifications does GBE E-bike have?
CE, UL, EMC, RoHS, EN15194
What payment methods are available?
All major credit cards, debit cards through PayPal
Do I have to pay sales tax?
Our products are shipped out of our CA warehouse. Any order with CA ship-to address is subject to California sales tax. All other states are exempt. Please email email@example.com if you are ordering outside of CA and obtain the checkout code.
Is shipping expensive?
For limited time, we are offering FREE SHIPPING to all 48 states in the continental US.
Please note if shipping destination is outside of lower 48 continental states or outside of the United States please email firstname.lastname@example.org. A customized quote will be provided.
Are GBE Electric Bikes street legal?
For models with 750W motor output or less and top speed (with motor only) of <20 MPH the bikes are treated as normal bikes and not subject to license and registration requirements. For our most powerful models with motor output of >750W and top speed exceeding 20 MPH we’ll provide instruction on registering your product.
What are the laws around Electric Bikes?
In 2001, the U. S. Congress passed Public Law 107-319 which exempts electric bicycles under 750 watts/20 mph from the definition of a motor vehicle only “For purposes of motor vehicle safety standards…”, which means that the manufacturers of these bicycles don’t have to meet federal equipment requirements, and are instead governed by the manufacturing requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Act. There is no mention of exemption from other federal, state, and local traffic laws, or exemption from the definition of a motor vehicle for other purposes.
Various states have passed their own laws. California law states that no driver’s license, license plate, nor insurance is required. Electric bikes are subject to all the rules of the road, and additional laws governing the operation and safety of electric bicycles may be extended by state or local governments. It’s legally a bicycle, so you can use it wherever and however you can use a bike. Washington law is similar.
Federal law trumps all States’ laws. That is true with bicycle law, too. States cannot constitutionally pass legislation that reduces or eliminates Federal laws, they can only pass legislation that enacts additional (tighter) restrictions on its people. This means that no State can enact legislation that allows wattage or speeds greater than the Federal Government’s limit of 750 Watts and a top electric-powered speed of 20MPH. An e-bike can go over 20 MPH, but not by means of the motor. No matter what state you bike in, bicycle speeds on public roads above 20MPH cannot legally be motor-assisted.
Framework for Considering Motorized Use on Non-motorized Trails and Pedestrian Walkways under 23 U.S.C. § 217
The purpose of this document is to provide guidance to Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) division offices and a consistent framework for determining when to permit an exception for motorized use on non-motorized trails and pedestrian walkways under 23 U.S.C. § 217(h)(5). The relevant legislation reads as follows:
23 U.S.C. § 217. Bicycle Transportation and Pedestrian Walkways (h) Use of Motorized Vehicles.–Motorized vehicles may not be permitted on trails and pedestrian walkways under this section, except for– (1) maintenance purposes; (2) when snow conditions and State or local regulations permit, snowmobiles; (3) motorized wheelchairs; (4) when State or local regulations permit, electric bicycles; and (5) such other circumstances as the Secretary deems appropriate.
(j) Definitions.–In this section, the following definitions apply:
(2) Electric bicycle.–The term electric bicycle means any bicycle or tricycle with a low-powered electric motor weighing under 100 pounds, with a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour.
Are there special insurance requirements?
No insurance is required to ride an e-bike. However, if you want to insure it against theft, check your current homeowner’s insurance policy. An electric bicycle may be covered. To determine coverage, check with your insurance company or agent.
How do I maintain and prolong the health of Li-Ion battery?
- Get a battery pack that goes at least twice the range you usually expect to ride.
- Range is proportional to battery size; twice the battery size = twice the range.
- For every two miles you go, plan on about one hour of charging and about one cent of electricity.
- When speed increases, range decreases even faster; 1/3 faster = 1/2 the range.
- A 400-watt motor takes an average rider up all but the steepest hills (but weak controllers can limit performance).
- Two 12-volt, 12 amp-hour batteries will take an average rider 10 miles at 15 mph or up a hill that’s 800 feet tall
Is the battery toxic? Is it safe? Is it environmentally friendly? What’s LiFePO4 battery?
Lithium-Ion battery is highly efficient, offers longer range, longer life span (1000-2000 recharge cycles), and safe use & disposal compared to other types of batteries (lead acid, nickle metal…etc). GBE Electric Bikes is introducing the most innovative Lithium-Ion battery on all 2011 models. LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery is a derivative of Lithium-Ion battery. It’s the latest breakthrough in battery technology.
In electric vehicles, LiFePO4 batteries offer greater range, power and safety. They provide full power until they are completely discharged, and recharge in just 2.5 hours. LiFePO4 chemistry is also environmentally friendly — it’s the least toxic of all the battery types.
For electric vehicles and plug-in electric cars, the LiFePO4 batteries will typically perform well in temperatures up to 400-degrees F, last for 6 to 7 years at a charge-discharge cycle of over 3,000.
The biggest player in the LiFePO4 marketplace for electric vehicles, however, is A123 Systems that has teamed up with GM to develop these batteries for the Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid. Another big player is Lithium Technology Corporation who has been working with GM, Toyota and U. C. Davis to develop LiFePO4 batteries for all-electric and hybrid vehicles. GBE Electric Bikes now offers this new technology with our GT series bikes and AMG 26 “Hummer”. We will soon roll this out to the rest of the line-up.
Here’s a list of all the advantages of LiFePo4 batteries:
- Safe technology — will not catch fire or explode with overcharge
- Over 2000 discharge cycles life compared to typically around 300 for lead acid
- Double the usable capacity of similar amp hour lead acid batteries
- Virtually flat discharge curve means maximum power available until fully discharged (no “voltage sag” as with lead acid batteries)
- High discharge rate capability, 10C continuous, 20C pulse discharge
- Unlike lead acid batteries, can be left in a partially discharged state for extended periods without causing permanent damage
- Extremely low self discharge rate (unlike lead acid which will go flat quite quickly if left sitting for long periods)
- Does not suffer from “thermal runaway”
- Can be used safely in high ambient temperatures of up to 60C without any degradation in performance
- Maintenance free for the life of the battery
- Can be operated in any orientation
- Does not contain any toxic heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, nor any corrosive acids or alkalies thus making LiFePO4 batteries the most environmentally friendly battery chemistry available
- LiFePO4 cells are of solid construction — there are no fragile/brittle plates made of lead which can be prone to failure over time as a result of vibration
- Can be safely rapidly recharged — when fully discharged can be brought to a state of over 90% fully charged in 15 minutes